Search This Blog

Thursday, November 11, 2010

My upcoming semester abroad!!!!

Yes yes yes yes I'm coming to America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I got my plane tickets today! Hanoi-Tokyo-Chicago-Minneapolis woohoooooooo)

So the hermit me (and by hermit I mean I've never been outside of the country before, I'm definitely not a misanthrope) finally got the chance to study abroad. I'm one of ten Vietnamese students to be awarded the Global Ugrad scholarship (if any Vietnamese fellow happens to stumble on this blog, here is the info for this year's scholarship!!!!!!). I felt so lucky and grateful that I will get the chance to come to the states. I still vividly recall the memory of last year, when a very good friend of mine told me about this once-in-a-life time opportunity. I still remember it was on Nov 11 (which is today) :D and the deadline was on Nov 16... Oh well, you bet I had three sleepless night, scouring the internet for instructions on how to write personal statement, running back and forth to find my professors for the recommendation letters, and spending an inordinate amount of time and effort to wade through the red tape that is my school... It all paid off, it all paid off. And while I'm typing this, I can't help holding back my tears. I know I could never have gotten the means to study abroad, let alone the U.S without financial aid. And this scholarship, even though for only one semester, has made my dream come true. So thank you! U.S Department of State, thank you so very much...

So for the next Jan to May period, I'll be staying at Carlson School of Management at University of Minnesota (Hello twin cities). I was scared at first when I learned that 1. Minnesota is one of the coldest state in US and 2. Also the whitest state (I have nothing against white, but I just think I'd be more comfortable to be somewhere that has a lot of Asians) but hey, if I am polite and friendly, things are gonna be fine right?? Let's hope so!! :)

So in my prime and cheery mood at the moment, I think I'm gonna play something cheerful, let's see, oh yes, The flower band (花儿乐队) (ew I despite the English translation). These are two of their most popular songs, the first is a hit "Xi shua shua" and the second is my personal pick (Do you get a 相声vibe from the song?? Hahhahaha) Enjoy it, friends :)

I play this whenever I clean the house or mop the floor :">

I especially love the way they rock-play their traditional musical instruments near the end <3

No comments:

Post a Comment