Search This Blog

Sunday, October 31, 2010

My very first post! Chinese songs in my childhood

Yay to my very post!!!!

I meant to write much much sooner but I was so caught up in homework and midterms in the past two weeks. My somewhat limited English vocab didn't help much either, as I struggled to find the right words to get my point across. (It was always like this, I sat in front of the computer, typed for about 10-15 minutes, the paragraphs felt awkward, I deleted the whole thing, repeated the above process for about 5-6 times, I got frustrated so I hit the books and completely forgot that I wanted to write my first post for my first blog..)
Anyway, I digress...

Okay, back to the topic!  You know how people say you can never forget your childhood? My formative years, like those of the majority of Vietnamese children, were filled with C-drama and Japanese manga (Talk about manga, Doraemon, Inuyasha, Rurouni Kenshin and Slamdunk are my all-time favorites :D). I can still vividly recall our family snuggling together in front of the TV set, watching with excitement from 还珠格格 (Princess Pearl) to 宰相刘罗锅(The Hunchback Prime Minister Liu) to 包青天(Justice Bao) to 梁山伯与祝英台(The butterfly lovers?). And don't even get me started on the  四大名著 (The four great novels of the Chinese literature)... I think you guys can have a pretty good picture of the prevalence of C-drama in the TV lives of most Vietnamese people in the 90s. Those dramas, mostly about Chinese history and literature were such a big hits in Vietnam. They were so famous, to the point that Vietnamese people can comprehend most of the historical and cultural references, especially from the Great four books, especially about 三国演义(Romance of the three kingdoms). It is also not uncommon for us to use those references in our daily lives.

One a site note, for those who ask "what about the oh-so-mighty Korean wave that washed over Asia at that time??"... Well, the Hallyu/Korean wave only swept through Vietnam in '98, '99 and early 2000s while the the C-dramas were there ever since I can remember (I was born in '89). Besides, my dad totally despised K-drama, denouncing them as superficial, meaningless and a total waste of time. Until I was a senior in high school, I only saw like 2 or 3 K-dramas :(

Okay, now you ask "what does this thing have anything to do with Cpop or the title of this post???" My answer: THE SOUNDTRACK. To list all my favorite C-drama and their soundtracks and the reasons why I like love them would take at least 10 posts. So I'm gonna slowly introduce to you some of my favorite shows and songs in the future :). The one I'm giving you today is from my all-time favorite drama Justice Bao:

新鸳鸯蝴蝶梦 by 黄安 (the ending piece for 包青天/Justice Bao)

-About the movie: 包青天 or Justice Bao is like the early Asian version of 24h/CSI or any US legal drama, only no sex scenes, no swearing and with much much better song :D The 236-episode drama (gasp) surrounds the life of Bao Zheng (包拯), a much-vaunted official in the Song Dynasty for his righteousness, his compassionate heart and careful, thrilling investigation and his standing up to other powerful and corrupt officials in the society. It's worth noticing though, that most of the cases in the movies are largely fictionalized. Anyway, it should not dampen your enjoyment when watching it (provided you have the time! Hehe I'm so happy I watched all of them when I was small). In modern China, Bao Zheng is the symbol of justice!

-About the song: the name is Xin yuanyang hudie meng (新鸳鸯蝴蝶梦). Don't force me to translate it for you, I don't know how to convey all of the meaning and nuances in the title. Let's just say it roughly means dream of two lovebirds =.=
The lyric is beyond beautiful! (For Chinese learners, the video includes the traditional lyrics, so yay, we can sing along just fine). My favorite part is the the two sentences "抽刀断水水更流 举杯浇愁愁更愁"  taken from a very famous poem by the greatest Chinese poet Li Bai. It really adds this poignant sense to the song!
Huang An/黄安 is the singer. I sincerely think this is his one-hit wonder as I can't seem to find his other songs measure up to this one.

Justice Bao is a drama worth watching. The legacy of Bao Zheng is so far reaching that since the overwhelming success of Justice Bao, more and more movies about his early life/his cases have been spawn out. Some movie makers even attempt to remake this one but I doubt any future remake can hold a candle to the original!!!!! I highly recommend this series to anyone who is studying Chinese, interested in C-drama or simply wants to try something such a staple in another culture!!!!

Oh, and great week ahead everyone!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment